While many newer models of GoPro cameras (GoPro Hero 8 onwards) already have built-in webcam compatibility, making live streaming a simple and straightforward task, that is not the case with the older versions of GoPro cameras.
Can You Stream Live Using GoPro Hero 4?
In short, yes. While the method may not be as simple as it would be with newer models of GoPro cameras, you can still use your GoPro Hero 4 as a webcam to do live streams.
This article will walk you through the process of live streaming with a GoPro Hero 4.
How To Setup Your GoPro Hero 4 As A Webcam?
The first step in order to live stream with your GoPro Hero 4 is to set it up as a webcam on your system.
To do this, you will need a micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable and an HDMI to USB converter cable to set up connections on your laptop. Find one that can stream videos at a resolution of 1080p and 60 fps (frame rates per second) for the best results.
After you have obtained the necessary micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable and an HDMI to-USB converter cable, you can proceed with the following steps to set up your GoPro Hero 4 as a webcam to allow live streaming.
Note: Before you begin, make sure your GoPro Hero 4 is connected to a power source.
- Switch on your GoPro Hero 4 and go to Preferences. From there on, go to Input/output and choose HDMI output. Now set the HDMI output to live.
- Now, use your set of micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cables and an HDMI to USB converter cable to set up a connection between your laptop and your GoPro Hero 4 by plugging in the HDMI to USB converter cable to both devices.
Note: You may need to download additional software if you wish to alter the standard settings to your preferences.
- From the options listed in your webcam software, choose your GoPro Hero 4. It is possible that instead of your GoPro Hero 4, the connector is visible in the list. In that case, selecting it will work.
How To Stream Live Using A GoPro Hero 4?
Now that you have set up your GoPro Hero 4 as a webcam, you can start live streaming using it. For this, you will need to have the GoPro App downloaded on your device.
After that, just follow these steps:
- Open the GoPro App and choose the camera icon on your screen’s bottom left corner.
- Now choose the option visible in the center of your screen titled “Control Your GoPro.”
- From the icons now visible on the bottom, scroll and select Live.
- You should now see a blue icon saying “Set Up Live.” Below that will be a list of supported social media platforms to live stream from. Choose your preferred platform here.
- Once your preferred platform is selected, tap on Set Up Live and give the necessary permission to establish a connection.
- Now tap the blue button saying “Set Up Live Stream.”
- From the next window, choose whether you wish to connect to a Wi-Fi network or a hotspot and set up your connection.
- In the next window, select how you want to share. (This is where you decide whether to stream publicly, privately, or in groups).
- Now give your live stream a title and a short description to help others find your live stream more easily.
- Then select your desired resolution.
- From your save setting now visible choose whether you wish to save your live stream externally or not.
- Once your setup is complete, tap on Go Live to start streaming.
- Open the app of the platform you are streaming on to monitor your stream.
And there you have it. The complete guide to setting up your GoPro Hero 4 to do a live stream.
Now that you know how to do it, you can go ahead and share your craft with an online audience. Don’t forget to share this article and drop a comment in the comments section down below to let us know what you will be live streaming with your GoPro Hero 4.